It took me about two days to get everything set-up. The first day was spent with learning the basics of jekyll, liquid and markdown.
The second day was littered with small challenges and quite a few problems. But problems are there to be solved. So here's my summary of day #2:
Setup a local test environment###
First thing I did, was figuring out how to setup a local testing environment. The previous day I did 80 commits for testing purposes. That was a little bit too much, in my eyes. Luckily there are quite a few tutorials on how to setup such a test environment. This is the one I used (My desktop machine is running Windows 7). All you need is ruby, the ruby dev kit, jekyll, rdiscount and a clone of your repository.
So, from 80 commits without a testing environment I went down to 18 commits on day 2.
Importing blog posts from Wordpress
As I wanted to keep my old blog posts archived, I looked for ways to convert the Wordpress export xml file to markdown. I eventually found thomasf/exitwp which does exactly what I needed. All that was left to do was getting rid if
[caption] tags, making the code look nicer and some general formatting.
I also removed tags and categories from each post as I'm not making use of them. Sadly, embedded YouTube videos were removed by exitwp, so I had to put them in again.
The last thing that was on my list was the code formatting. Apparently there is GitHub flavoured markdown. Except that it didn't seem to work on here. After I've spent some time messing around with that, I simply used the basic markdown syntax for code. No syntax highlighting, sadly. This is also where most of the commits came from. Obviously, GitHub flavored markdown is not available in a local testing environment, so I had to test it on GitHub.
My own theme
This theme is a fork of Tom's jekyllbootstrap theme. A few changes to the font, a new archive page and a different footer - That's all I changed. But it's not finished yet. I'm planning to add a "fork me" badge and I might change the footer a little bit. But so far I'm pretty much done.